Anthropology of Ba
Many In Stock
Do places influence human behavior?
In everyday thinking, spaces and places are generally seen as empty vessels where human activity occurs. Digging a bit deeper, we can distinguish spaces from places: places are spaces that have meanings attached – an empty room becomes a classroom or a bedroom depending on what people do in it. Focusing on the Japanese concept ba – usually translated as ‘place’ – this study recognizes that places imbued with social meaning influence human behavior. Ba takes into account the social context, the norms that dictate behavior, the mood of a place, and the individual’s feelings about it. Conceptualized as ba, places limit and direct what we can do, and in the process, shape who we are. Drawing from a wide array of ethnographic studies, this collection illustrates various ways in which place and human agency co-emerge.
Table of contents
Introduction: An Anthropology of Ba
Part Ⅰ: Co-emergence of Ba and Actor
- Butoh and the Cabaret: How the place of striptease fueled avant-garde performance in Japan
- Space for Competition and Place for Participation: Two Contrasting Sides of a Japanese Folk Song Contest
- Ritual Performance and Agency of Ba: Hierarchy and Mood at Ceremonial Feasts in Pohnpei, Micronesia
Part Ⅱ: Performative Translocality
- Performing Turkish Culture: The Inclusion Drive of the Largest Nomadic Festival in Contemporary Turkey
- Creating Oceania: Place and Ba of the Festival of Pacific Arts
- Performers' Two Bodies/ Double Consciousness: Performers and Traditional Repertoire in Tibetan Refugee Society
- Conflicts Create Ba and Agency: How E.A.B.I.C. Rastafarians Occupy the World
- After Fieldwork: Vestiges in/from a Fieldworker
We ship worldwide by TaQ-Bin (Airmail). It normally takes around 7–10 days to reach the country of destination, depending on the local post service.
You will receive a tracking number when the order is fulfilled.
For a fair and transparent shipping price, the shipping costs are calculated based on:
1. Your shipping address
2. Weight of the books ordered
Because we need an address to calculate shipping costs, you can only see the shipping cost after you have added a shipping address to your order during the checkout.
We understand that shipping costs might seem like extra baggage. Therefore, we are offering a 50% discount on shipping! This is automatically calculated and deducted when you add a shipping address to your order at the time of check out.
After discount, the average shipping cost hover around US$ 15 for delivering 1 book and US$ 20 for 2 books.
For faster delivery, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can quote shipping fees for Express Mail Service, FedEx, DHL etc.